2012-05-22

Life in a Wormhole: I *still* don't even... #eveonline

CB sent me an email yesterday.

"For your blog."



I can only assume he intended it as a portrait of our transient P.I. pilot. I love it when people do my work for me, in advance.

In fact, my job is doubly easy, because, when I log in the next day, I have an email from Bre, containing a chat log.




---------------------------------------------------------------
Channel Name: Local
Listener: Bre
---------------------------------------------------------------

[ 05:24:50 ] Hurrr > So... basically you cant run T3 on a single planet no more, eh?
[ 05:25:32 ] Hurrr > trying to make Smartfab UNits...doesnt seem to let me get enough PG
[ 05:25:58 ] Bre > no... that changed over a year ago.
[ 05:26:04 ] Hurrr > great
[ 05:26:27 ] Hurrr > so much for my WH PI pay for an account plans :(
[ 05:26:38 ] Bre > well, that and the tax rates we have set for -5s and -10s in here.
[ 05:26:46 ] Hurrr > I guess I better look for best paying T2 then eh?
[ 05:27:19 ] Bre > by all means, set up a couple. helps us buy new ships.
[ 05:27:30 ] Hurrr > its ok...I just try to get this PI stuff to work..if I manage to set something up..I will ask for some arrangement (ed.: I can think of a couple ideas...)
[ 05:27:41 ] Hurrr > if not...you are more than welcome to whatever taxes you make
[ 05:27:46 ] Hurrr > I wont interfere much :)
[ 05:30:03 ] Hurrr > how is life here in WH land anyways..? pretty quiet?
[ 05:30:15 ] Bre > not tonight.
[ 05:30:47 ] Hurrr > oh..you guys saw some action?
[ 05:32:28 ] Bre > well, no, I was referring to /local
[ 05:32:35 ] Hurrr > oh..sorry
[ 05:32:44 ] Hurrr > I will learn the proper ethics..and be quiet :)
[ 05:33:17 ] Bre > no no. I'm glad you spoke up.
[ 05:33:38 ] Hurrr > and seriously..if I piss you guys off..I can leave...
[ 05:33:51 ] Hurrr > I just want to be quiet..and try this PI thingy without offending anyone too much
[ 05:39:38 ] Hurrr > you mind if I chat here Bre?
[ 05:42:20 ] Bre > go right ahead.
[ 05:42:32 ] Hurrr > have u tried PI yourself?
[ 05:44:18 ] Bre > I'm very bad at it.
[ 05:44:22 ] Bre > it's why I set up so many.
[ 05:44:24 ] Hurrr > I just wante to see if I could have 2 alts in 2 wormholes..that pays for the account..
[ 05:44:39 ] Hurrr > just make a trip once a month or so..
[ 05:44:56 ] Bre > it's doable, but honestly you could do that out of a lowsec.
[ 05:44:59 ] Hurrr > that was back when I thought I could make T3 items still :(
[ 05:45:04 ] Bre > yeah.
[ 05:45:28 ] Hurrr > low sec is SOO camped though...and so many unfriendly pirates
[ 05:45:55 ] Hurrr > my hope was to find a semi quiet wh..and just puts around on a planet or 3
[ 05:46:20 ] Hurrr > cloak an industrial and just slowly learn how it works..
[ 05:46:30 ] Bre > Sure. Wormholers are generally a warm and fuzzy bunch.
[ 05:46:41 ] Hurrr > now that I can only make T2..not so sure any more..
[ 05:47:57 ] Hurrr > only 47M / mnth per planet..before taxes...
[ 05:48:13 ] Hurrr > not even close to a Plex.....are C4 MUCH richers??
[ 05:48:18 ] Hurrr > do you happen to lknow?
[ 05:48:35 ] Hurrr > I saw u guys had a static C4..and I popped in there..but only 4 barrnes in the one I checked out:(
[ 05:49:16 ] Bre > actually, the quality of the planets is based on the systems truesec.
[ 05:49:22 ] Bre > and all wormholes are -1.0
[ 05:49:40 ] Hurrr > ooh...so only matter for me is number of useful planets..
[ 05:49:53 ] Bre > so all wormholes have the same quality PI
[ 05:50:04 ] Bre > pretty much, yeah.
[ 05:50:08 ] Hurrr > damnit...my stay here might eb shortlived then :(
[ 05:51:20 ] Hurrr > Rocket Fuels seems to be about best T2 I can find. I'll set that up for now.
[ 05:58:22 ] Hurrr > gotta recouperate my stuopid ivnestment before I take off at least :)
[ 06:15:45 ] Hurrr > Ok mate....I think I'll call it for tonight...hope to see you again tomorrow:) hopefully equally peaceful:)


We checked, and sure enough, the guy set up a rocket fuel installation, even though the tax rates for non-corp-members extracting products from the planets would actually cost him more than the product itself will sell for. Unbelievable.

Clearly, he needs to die.

4 comments:

RyanST said...

Okay I believe him now... He probably is a returning player that drifted off years ago, and have no idea how POCO tax works (but... but obviously he does...) and how beneficial is it being a red to use the wormhole POCO compared to just simply setting up with Interbus.

And surely he don't know how "warm and fuzzy" wormholers are. (or he knows...)

Em said...

Warm=The feeling from the ships metal as it heats up from repeated weapons fire.

Fuzzy=A description of vision a split moment before everything goes dark.

Well, I hope to greet the new traveler.

Druur Monakh said...

Naah - just let him run his PI installation for a while, before asking him if he has calculated his profit margin. Look beyond the immediate joy of an explosion, and have him run a PI setup which is profitable enough that he stays and continues to pay the POCO taxes.

Frak said...

@Druur: That seems fine on paper until the idiot player opens a whole when he shouldn't and brings problems to your door.

To be completely honest, my current situation is the result of a somewhat similar situation (minus the idiocy) where the established residents considered that I might be more useful around than in a fresh clone. To this day, it worked out surprisingly well.