2012-12-03

Life in Eve: Getting Ready for Retribution

It's been a busy couple of weeks in the Eugidi constellation, but after we recaptured Floseswin, we called a few days of rest to mess around with more casual roaming, running some missions for the TLF, and getting prepped for upcoming ship changes this week. It's really a pretty huge expansion, revamping so many ships that currently don't see any kind of use on the game. Over 40 updated ships, about 30 of which are never currently flown -- in essence, this quadruples the number of viable ship options people will have, which is just... huge. It's huge.

Anyway, like many of my fellow corp leaders, I burn a couple days with CB, tracking down some of the soon-to-be-useful ship hulls and (as much as I can) refitting them in ways that don't work right now but WILL work in a few days, then moving them to the war zone. This process takes a LOT of hauling, so I beg Berke to dust off his rarely used freighter to save me some pain. Thoraxes getting faster. Stabbers and Mallers suddenly not terrible. Arbitrators... man, I can't wait for the arbitrators. Or Kestrels. Or Exequrors. Or Bellicoses. Bellicoseses. Bellicosi. Whatever. It almost makes the hours spent fitting and moving prepped ships worth it.

Almost.

Still, shipping contracts are complete for the finalized ships and I actually find I've got a little time to... you know... fly around in space. I do that, heading toward the now mostly unused corporate office near Egglehende to work out moving the last of our corp resources to our current system. As I'm flying through Dal, one of my alliance mates hails me, asking if I'm in a combat worthy ship.

What? Why? Why are you asking? Is something going on? What's going on? Lemme see!


I still have a few frigates in a local hangar, so I get into one and ask what's going on.

He's apparently spotted a Slasher hanging around outside one of the minor complexes in system. He suggests he try to pin it down, and I come in and actually blow it up, since he's really not built for such things in his fleet interceptor. Sounds like a good plan to me.

"It might cascade," he says, "but whatever."

I don't ask what he means, and I suppose I probably should have.

I warp to him, but the affects around the warp acceleration gate pulls me off course and I land next to the structure and right on top of the Slasher.

Wait... that's not the Slasher, that's ANOTHER slasher -- that's the slasher's buddy. The first slasher is about 30 kilometers away and closing fast.

My own ship (an Imperial Navy Slicer I liberated from the Amarr) doesn't like being so close to the enemy, (who now has not one but two webs on me), so I overheat my microwarpdrive and pull range JUST before the second Slasher gets close enough to cause me heartache.

I go to work on my first target, battling his shield booster with pulse lasers -- it's a slow battle, but one I know I'll when when the shield booster runs out of charges. In fact, it would be almost boring if it weren't for the maneuvering battle required to maintain proper range with the first target while keeping away from the second slasher, who's trying to get close enough to shut down my drives. It's complicated. (There's another enemy ship nearby, but he's wasting time chasing the interceptor that first started this thing, so he's not an issue.)

Then the Incursus lands right next to us and comes after me.

Just as the 2nd slicer gets a web on me. No bueno.

Now I know what the other guy meant when he said things might Cascade.


Once again, I overheat my microwarpdrive (a touchy piece of machinery that does NOT like to be driven beyond factory specifications) and try to pull out of the 2nd slicer's range. It's working, but slowly.

Then, a wonderful thing happens. Just as I'm about to break out of the web of Slasher #2, my main target decides to try to get close enough to hit me with his short range autocannons. I break the webs and quickly pull away, but he continues to try to catch up to me, which pulls him into straight-line pursuit right behind me. As far as my targeting computer is concerned, he might as well be standing still.

The Slasher explodes, and the pilot's pod warps free. His friends decide this is a sign of how things will go, and both vacate the field.

Which is good, because I just completely burnt my microwarpdrive out. Oops.

I limp back to station to repair, my mate (who didn't get a shot on anyone) picks over the wreck, and I get to enjoy a completely unexpected adrenaline rush after a long day of hauling and logistics.

All in all, pretty good day.

No comments: